ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:16:55 -0500
Angel,

I might ask if we see any biblical examples of our spiritual forefathers
praying to anyone but God? Below is some info on saints, and prayer too.
Since you asked regarding this all, I thought you might appreciate the
info.

Saints
People who have been separated from the world and consecrated to the
worship and service of God. Followers of the Lord are referred to by this
phrase throughout the Bible, although its meaning is developed more fully
in the New Testament. Consecration (setting apart) and purity are the
basic meanings of the term. Believers are called "saints" (Rom 1:7) and
"saints in Christ Jesus" (Phil 1:1) because they belong to the One who
provided their sanctification.

PRAYER
PRAYER
Communication with God. Because God is personal, all people can offer
prayers. However, sinners who have not trusted Jesus Christ for their
salvation remain alienated from God. So while unbelievers may pray, they
do not have the basis for a rewarding fellowship with God. They have not
met the conditions laid down in the Bible for effectiveness in prayer.
Christians recognize their dependence upon their Creator. They have every
reason to express gratitude for God's blessings. But they have far more
reason to respond to God than this. They respond to the love of God for
them. God's love is revealed through the marvelous incarnation and life of
Christ, His atoning provision at the Cross, His resurrection, as well as
His continuing presence through the Holy Spirit.
Prayer cannot be replaced by devout good works in a needy world. Important
as service to others is, at times we must turn away from it to God, who is
distinct from all things and over all things. Neither should prayer be
thought of as a mystical experience in which people lose their identity in
the infinite reality. Effective prayer must be a scripturally informed
response of persons saved by grace to the living God who can hear and
answer on the basis of Christ's payment of the penalty which sinners
deserved. As such, prayer involves several important aspects.
Faith. The most meaningful prayer comes from a heart that places its trust
in the God who has acted and spoken in the Jesus of history and the
teachings of the Bible. God speaks to us through the Bible, and we in turn
speak to Him in trustful, believing prayer. Assured by the Scripture that
God is personal, living, active, all-knowing, all-wise, and all-powerful,
we know that God can hear and help us. A confident prayer life is built on
the cornerstone of Christ's work and words as shown by the prophets and
apostles in the Spirit-inspired writings of the Bible.
Worship. In worship we recognize what is of highest worth-not ourselves,
others, or our work, but God. Only the highest divine being deserves our
highest respect. Guided by Scripture, we set our values in accord with
God's will and perfect standards. Before God, angels hide their faces and
cry, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts" (Isa 6:3).
Confession. Awareness of God's holiness leads to consciousness of our own
sinfulness. Like the prophet Isaiah, we exclaim, "Woe is me, for I am
undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a
people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts"
(Isa 6:5). By sinning we hurt ourselves and those closest to us; but first
of all, and worst of all, sin is against God (Ps 51:4). We must confess
our sins to God to get right with Him. We need not confess them to another
being. But we should confess them directly to God, who promises to forgive
us of all our unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).
Adoration. God is love, and He has demonstrated His love in the gift of
His Son. The greatest desire of God is that we love Him with our whole
being (Matt 22:37). Our love should be expressed, as His has been
expressed, in both deeds and words. People sometimes find it difficult to
say to others and to God, "I love you." But when love for God fills our
lives, we will express our love in prayer to the one who is ultimately
responsible for all that we are.
Praise. The natural outgrowth of faith, worship, confession, and adoration
is praise. We speak well of one whom we highly esteem and love. The one
whom we respect and love above all others naturally receives our highest
commendation. We praise Him for His "mighty acts...according to His
excellent greatness!" (Ps 150:2), and for His "righteous judgments" (Ps
119:164). For God Himself, for His works, and for His words, His people
give sincere praise.
Thanksgiving. Are we unthankful because we think we have not received what
we deserve? But if we got what we "deserved," we would be condemned
because of our guilt. As sinners, we are not people of God by nature. We
have no claim upon His mercy or grace. Nevertheless, He has forgiven our
sins, granted us acceptance as His people, and given us His righteous
standing and a new heart and life. Ingratitude marks the ungodly (Rom
1:21). Believers, in contrast, live thankfully. God has been at work on
our behalf in countless ways. So in evervthing, even for the discipline
that is unpleasant, we give thanks (Col 3:17; 1 Thess 5:18).
Dedicated Action. Christ's example does not require us to withdraw from
society, but to render service to the needy in a spirit of prayer. He wept
over Jerusalem in compassionate prayer, and then He went into the city to
give His life a ransom for many. Authentic prayer will be the source of
courage and productivity, as it was for the prophets and apostles.
Request. Prayer is not only response to God's grace as brought to us in
the life and work of Jesus and the teaching of Scripture; it is also
request for our needs and the needs of others.
For good reasons God's holy and wise purpose does not permit Him to grant
every petition just as it is asked. Several hindrances to answered prayer
are mentioned in the Bible: iniquity in the heart (Ps 66:18), refusal to
hear God's law (Prov 28:9), an estranged heart (Isa 29:13), sinful
separation from God (Isa 59:2), waywardness (Jer 14:10-12), offering
unworthy sacrifices (Mal 1:7-9), praying to be seen of men (Matt 6:5-6),
pride in fasting and tithing (Luke 18:11-14), lack of faith (Heb 11:6),
and doubting or double-mindedness (James 4:3).
More positively, God has promised to answer our requests when we start
helping the hungry and afflicted (Isa 58:9-10), when we believe that we
will receive what we ask (Mark 11:22-24), when we forgive others (Mark
11:25-26), when we ask in Christ's name (John 14:13-14), and when we abide
in Christ and His words (John 15:7), pray in the Spirit (Eph 6:8), obey
the Lord's commandments (1 John 3:22), and ask according to His will (1
John 5:14-15). Until we have properly responded to God and His Word, He
cannot entrust us with His powerful resources.
Prayer is request to a personal Lord who answers as He knows best. We
should not think that we will always have success in obtaining the things
for which we ask. In His wisdom, God hears and answers in the way that is
best.
Effectiveness. Prayer has power over everything. God can intelligently act
in any part of the universe or human history. Although some people think
prayer is a waste of time, the Bible declares that "the effective, fervent
prayer of a righteous man avails much" (James 5:16).
Prayer meets inner needs. One who prays will receive freedom from fear (Ps
118:5-6), strength of soul (Ps 138:3), guidance and satisfaction (Isa
58:9-11), wisdom and understanding (Dan 9:20-27), deliverance from harm
(Joel 2:32), reward (Matt 6:6), good gifts (Luke 11:13), fullness of joy
(John 16:23-24), peace (Phil 4:6-8), and freedom from anxiety (1 Peter
5:7).
Is prayer effective only in the inner lives of those who pray? No, prayer
can make a difference in the lives of others. Biblical writers believed
prayer for others could result in greater wisdom and power (Eph 1:18-19);
inward strength, knowledge of Christ's love, filling with God's fullness
(Eph 3:16-19); discernment, approval of what is excellent, filling with
the fruits of righteousness (Phil 1:9-11); knowledge of God's will,
spiritual understanding, a life pleasing to God, fruitfulness, endurance,
patience, joy (Col 1:9-12); a quiet, peaceable life (1 Tim 2:1-2); love
for one another and all people, holiness before God (1 Thess 3:10-13);
comfort and establishment in every good word and work (2 Thess 2:16-17);
love for God, steadfastness in Christ (2 Thess 3:5); the sharing of one's
faith, promotion of the knowledge of all that is good (Philem 6); and
equipment for every good work that is pleasing to God (Heb 13:20-21).
Some people who think prayer can affect others question the ability of God
to change His usual patterns in the physical world. But some prayers in
the Bible changed nature and physical bodies.
Jabez prayed for enlarged borders and protection from harm (1 Chron 4:10).
Other people in the Bible prayed for deliverance from trouble (Ps
34:15-22), deliverance from both poverty and riches (Prov 30:7-9),
deliverance from the belly of a great fish (Jonah 2:7-10), daily bread
(Matt 6:11), preservation and sanctification of spirit, soul, and body (1
Thess 5:23), the healing of the sick (James 5:14-15), and the ending of
the rain and its beginning again (James 5:17-18). PRAYER
When the disciples prayed, the building around them shook (Acts 4:31) and
an earthquake opened the doors of their prison (Acts 16:25-26). Our
prayers do make a difference in how God acts in the world!

Brad