ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:05:34 -0600
Worth re-reading.

The Object Of Your Faith

By Phil Scovell

Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in
glory by Christ Jesus.

1.  Focus.

* "But my God."

     This is our personal focus.  If we don't start there, it
isn't going to happen no matter whom we claim as our favorite
preacher.

2.  Fulfillment.

*  "Shall supply."

     This is our fulfillment.  The Greek word for "supply" is the
same word translated "filled in Ephesians 5:18 "and be ye filled
with the Spirit," as well as the same word rendered "complete" in
Colossians 2:10 which says, "And ye are complete in Him which is
the head of all principality and power."  Try and improve upon
that.  Like we used to say in the sixties, "Far out."

3.  Fruitfulness.

* "All your need."

     This is your fruitfulness.  The word rendered as "need" means
what you think it means.  However, it is a stronger word which
also encompasses your wants, that is, whatever is required to
conduct business, and provide to the fullest.  No lack, in other
words.  It isn't just in reference to money.

4.  Fortune.

* "According to his riches in glory."

this is your fortune, that is, those things which are eternal and
what comes from Heaven to Earth in your behalf for provision.

5.  Faith.

* "By Christ Jesus."

     this is the object of your faith.

Hebrews 11:1 is perhaps the most popular of passages on faith.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of
things not seen.

Compare this passage with another reference from the same book.

Hebrews 1:3
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of
his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power,
when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand
of the Majesty on high.

     There is absolutely no doubt to whom the writer of Hebrews is
referring; Jesus The Christ.  The word for "person" in this
passage, "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express
image of his person," is the same Greek word translated as
"substance in Hebrews 11:1 which says, "Now faith is the substance
of things hoped for."  Thus, the passage can literally read, "Now
faith is the person of things hoped for."  Stated precisely, it
reads, "Now faith is the Christ of things hoped for."

The Bottom Line

     This is my personal opinion, of course, so you can take it
for what it's worth.

     Jesus the Christ is the object of our faith.  Most of us
attempt exercising faith.  Why?  It's how we've been taught, for
the most part, so we "practice" our faith.  The frustration of
this philosophy is that we have to keep practicing and practicing
and practicing.  Eventually, therefore, we grow tired of trying
and figure it just must be because we don't have enough faith.  If
we don't feel that way, somebody somewhere will be sure to tell
us such is the case.

     Romans 12:3 tells us that God has given to every man the
measure of faith.  If you study the Greek word for "measure," you
will quickly learn that the faith we have is an exact measurement.
That is, everybody who comes to Christ as Lord and Savior
receives the same, or exact, or identical measurement of faith.
It is like cutting a pie into exactly six pieces.  Everybody gets
the same size.  I don't have more than you and you don't have more
than me.  In fact, the preacher you are listening to on the
television doesn't even have any more faith than you have
regardless of what he says.  On the other hand, it is what we do
with the faith that counts.

     I have literally heard Bible teachers comparing faith to
muscular strength.  Therefore, the more you exercise, lift
weights, the stronger you become.  According to proper
interpretive Scripture methodology, that is, hermeneutics, this is
completely erroneous theology.  The truth is simple; Jesus Christ
is the object of our faith.  If you go any place else for it, if
you attempt to practice faith, if you follow a four step plan, or
if you attempt to use the faith you think you see in someone else,
you will experience nothing in return.  You heard me correctly.
Faith is an experience.  I will prove what I just said in a
moment.

Illustration

     when I was little, I was fascinated with watching my dad wash
his car.  He would screw a nozzle on to the end of the long snake
green hose and turn on the water.  The adjustable nozzle had four
settings which were used for different purposes.  One setting was
a needle spray which was so fine, if you placed your bare hand in
front of the hose, it literally would sting your skin.  This was
perfect for lasering off thick encrusted dried mud stuck in the
wheel wells.  Other settings allowed you to gently caress the
car's surface to wash away loose dirt.  One setting I always
enjoyed playing with was a hard cylinder shape of water which
gushed out of the nozzle under tremendous force.  It was so
powerful, I could hold the nozzle in the air and the spray of
water would arc high into the air across the yard and land a good
30 feet away.  Yes, you are correct.  I spent more time playing
with the hose and the water than I did washing the car.

     One day, dad told me to go out and wash the car.  I loved
doing it so I was happy to obey.  I didn't know where the nozzle
was so I just decided to use the hose by itself by placing my
thumb over the end of the hose, just like I had see my dad do at
times, and thus increase the pressure coming out of the hose.  It
had so precious little effect, it was obvious I couldn't wash the
car that way.  Putting the hose down, I ran to look for the
nozzle.  Shutting the water off, I screwed the nozzle on the end.
Twisting the water back on, I dialed up the various settings.
That made all the difference in the world.  Now I could finish the
job and do it right and in a lot less time, too.

     One day, while meditating on faith, the Holy Spirit reminded
me of this childhood memory.  He said, "This is faith."  I asked
the Lord what He was talking about.  He clearly told me that
faith was a fixed and exact measurement of His own nature which He
had given to all those truly born again.  The water running
through the hose was a picture of that exact measurement of faith.
I asked the Lord what made the difference in how the water was
used.  He said, "Whatever you screw on to the end of your faith.

     What are you using on the end of your faith?  If you are
using a favorite testimonial you heard in a sermon, if you are
using some outline, if you are practicing on small things at first
to see if it works or not before reaching for bigger acts of
faith, then you will discover not only does it not work, but you
will eventually become deceived by the Enemy for "your lack of
faith."  "It is your fault, you aren't spiritual enough," or, "you
have secret sin in your life," are some of the Enemy's most
favorite lies he will drop into the flow of your daily thought
processes.

     Let me ask you this question.  What did you use for faith
when you received Christ as your Savior, confessing you were a
sinner, and couldn't save yourself?  That's right.  You used Jesus
as the object of your faith.  May I now ask this question?  When
did you stop using Jesus as the object of your faith?  It is time
to rethink what we believe.  Do it now.

Satan Has A GOD Complex
WWW.SafePlaceFellowship.com