ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Grant E. Metcalf" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2013 16:21:25 -0700
Phil ask: "But how do we generate that attitude?  An attitude of what?"

1 Thessalonians 5:17 "Pray without ceasing."

The word "pray" comes from a Greek word "proseuch" which in its primary
definition means "worship" It goes on to say in verse 18 "In everything
gives thanks: for this is the _desirous] will of God in Christ Jesus
concerning you." And notice in Philippians 4:6-7: "Be careful or anxious for
nothing; but in everything by prayer (worship) and supplication after
thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 and the peace of
God, which passes all understanding, shall guard your hearts and minds
through Christ Jesus."

In order to enjoy the above prayer or grace communication relationship we
first must be spiritual.  That means we are in fellowship with God, having
our sins confessed, First John 1:9, and our minds focused on things above,
at the right hand of the Father in the heavenlies (Colossians 3:1-3). Of
course, this must all begin with considering ourselves to be dead to our old
sinful nature and alive to God in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 6:11). Then
with our reflective thinking fixed on all of the benefits and riches we have
"in Christ" we are able to offer up the sacrifice of praise for who and what
God is; the fruit of our lips confessing or agreeing with Him about what He
says about Himself. cf. Hebrews 13:15. Hebrews 13:15 should not be "giving
thanks" but "confessing or agreeing" with God regarding what we find in His
Word about His character. BTW, "name" implies character. When we pray we
should be in right relationship as we pray.  Tagging on the "In Jesus name"
formula in and of itself is worthless!

So then, the attitude comes from being in a right spiritual relationship to
the Father and allowing the Holy Spirit to reproduce the quality of Christ's
life in us.

Father, You are a gracious God, providing so many wonderful benefits to your
sons and daughters through the righteousness of Jesus Christ, given to us at
the new birth. Thank you for the Holy Spirit Who is able to reproduce that
righteousness in our lives here on earth as we walk by means of His leading
us from moment to moment each day. And thank you for the hope we have of one
day being able to stand and fall in worship in your very presence. And may
the Spirit help us not to forget to study Your Word so that we may continue
to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Listening for His shout!

Grant

PS:  Click on the following link to the studies on Grace Communication:
http://bartimaeus.us/messages/dks-prayer.html