EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Senge, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:20:23 -0700
Hi EASI Listers,

I am interested in learning more about what other colleges and
universities are doing about adapted computers, exams, and academic
integrity.  Many students with disabilities in colleges and universities
utilize adapted computers as a test taking accommodation.  In situations
where these computers are on a network and most likely have Internet
access, how are colleges and universities ensuring and maintaining
academic integrity during examinations?  That is, what provisions are in
place to prevent students with disabilities using these adapted
computers to take exams as an accommodation from utilizing Internet
resources during exams.  We all know the web as well as email and
instant messaging is out there and can provide opportunities to violate
codes of academic integrity.  How are colleges and universities
addressing this hole when providing this type of accommodation for
students with disabilities during examinations?

I would be interested in hearing from others of you who might be able to
shed some light on this issue.  Perhaps your college or university has
developed a method to secure adapted testing computers from the network
and Internet while still enabling students to get to network and
Internet resources they may need to complete exams.  Accessing Internet
resources such as courseware websites or faculty websites may be
required to complete exams.  I am interested in hearing how other
colleges and universities manage these challenges.

Thanks for your responses in advance...

Jeff

Jeffrey C. Senge
Information & Computer Access Program Coordinator
California State University, Fullerton
(714) 278-7253