EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:23:42 -0400
Hi all,

This letter below makes me seethe!  I have seen Yvonne's resume and it
is a good one.  I have corresponded with her at length.  This
shouldn't be happening.  However, it is.  I would just like to say to
those who feel that people with disabilities do not want to work and
are lazy and do not try hard enough, what do you expect here, folks?
What do you want this woman to do?  I dare anyone to come out and say
she hasn't tried hard enough.

I challenge all you out there who think that we with disabilities have
something wrong with us that makes it our fault if we don't get a job,
to rise up and tell me and this lady to her face that there's
something wrong with her.

Now, folks, if this isn't a clear demonstration of discrimination, I
don't know what is.  I don't know how much darker the writing on the
wall can be here.  Now, folks, if somebody has a constructive answer
for this woman, I challenge you to give it.  Let's do a little
networking here folks, dig into your address books, your contact lists
and see who you know and how they can help!  C'mon folks, seems like
Yvonne's done all she can do and more.  Let's see if we can help her
out!  You don't have to reply to me, reply to Yvonne.

Ann P.

    Yvonne> In March of 2003, Northcentral University became
    Yvonne> accredited!!!  Northcentral University was the first
    Yvonne> on-line institution to offer several PhD programs without
    Yvonne> having to physically attend any residencies! I have been
    Yvonne> accepted into Northcentral University to pursue a PhD in
    Yvonne> Organization Psychology. Having this degree would have
    Yvonne> enabled me to become an on-line consultant for physically
    Yvonne> disabled young adults.  Unlike Walden University,
    Yvonne> Northcentral University did not have regular semesters and
    Yvonne> classes. Students worked at their own time schedules and
    Yvonne> with professors on a one-to-one basis. For instance, I
    Yvonne> completed Information Research Strategies (first class)in
    Yvonne> less than a month and earned an A! After enrolling in my
    Yvonne> second class, I dropped out because the professor did not
    Yvonne> respond to any of my e-mail messages. When he finally
    Yvonne> responded, he intended to fail me due to not liking my
    Yvonne> writing.  Since I played the Good Ole Boys Game for eleven
    Yvonne> years, I no longer had the strength to continue advocating
    Yvonne> for my student rights. After realizing most graduate
    Yvonne> students were gainfully employed, I felt even more
    Yvonne> disgusted, outraged, and so on.

    Yvonne> Although I have a Bachelors from Monmouth University and
    Yvonne> Masters from Walden University, seeking employment has
    Yvonne> been a ridiculous struggle due to having bad speech and
    Yvonne> Cerebral Palsy. If an employer offered me a job position
    Yvonne> regarding on-line teaching, on-line counseling, on-line
    Yvonne> research assistant, data entry, web design, proofreading /
    Yvonne> editing, or freelance writing, it would be an honor and a
    Yvonne> privilege. After graduating from Monmouth University, I
    Yvonne> have been submitting over two hundred resumes to Careers
    Yvonne> On-Line, Disabled Job Resources, USAtoday Careers,
    Yvonne> Career-Resumes, Careers From Home, Just One Break, US Job
    Yvonne> Board, Disability Career Forum, PsycCareers, Airweb, JAN,
    Yvonne> Disabled2Work, Net-Temps, Help-Wanted, Challege 2000,
    Yvonne> Resume Blaster, Monster, Telecommuting Jobs, JobDirect,
    Yvonne> Career Path, Career Mart, America Job Bank, Career File,
    Yvonne> JobBank USA, Careers - Wall Street Journal, Hot Jobs, and
    Yvonne> Student Central. In addition, I have been snail mailing
    Yvonne> approximately two hundred resumes to various places such
    Yvonne> as Northern NJ's Services, Johnson & Johnson, New York
    Yvonne> Times Job Market, New Horizons, MOCEANS, CAST, March of
    Yvonne> Dimes, Clerical Plus, Diversified, NOD, YMCA, Harvard
    Yvonne> University, Brookdale Community College, Berkeley
    Yvonne> University, Ramapo College, NJIT, Stanford University,
    Yvonne> Yale University, Middlesex Community College, Wheaten
    Yvonne> Community College, Laramie Community College, Lane
    Yvonne> Community College, Cascadia Community College, Ashland
    Yvonne> Community College, Washtenaw Community College, Shoreline
    Yvonne> Community College, Porterville Community College, Pearl
    Yvonne> River Community College, Onondaga Community College,
    Yvonne> Heartland Community College, Northwest Arkansas Community
    Yvonne> College, Macomb Community College, Langara College,
    Yvonne> Kirtland Community College, Logan Community College,
    Yvonne> Glendale Community College, Southwestern Oregon Community
    Yvonne> College, Hartford Community College, Atlantic Cape
    Yvonne> Community College, Delaware County College, Dallas
    Yvonne> Telecollege, Clovis Community College, Holmes Community
    Yvonne> College, Casper College, Colgate University, Seton Hall
    Yvonne> University, Lupus, Edinboro University, Oregon State
    Yvonne> University, United Way, and NJ's Resources. So far, I am
    Yvonne> receiving rejection letters, requests for money donations,
    Yvonne> and address labels, which is extremely frustrating!!!  For
    Yvonne> example, United Cerebral Palsy of New Jersey was going to
    Yvonne> interview me for a web designer position. The gentleman,
    Yvonne> who should have interviewed me, rescheduled the interview
    Yvonne> for a later date. A few days later, he canceled the
    Yvonne> interview and promised to reschedule. After one month, he
    Yvonne> never contacted me. So, I tried contacting him. He never
    Yvonne> answered my phone or email messages.

    Yvonne> After endless searching the Asbury Park Press and Star
    Yvonne> Ledger, I realized that being a cake decorator was not an
    Yvonne> appropriate career choice. Therefore, I decided to find an
    Yvonne> advocator to assist me in obtaining a job. I have
    Yvonne> contacted NJ Psychological Association, Middlesex County
    Yvonne> Association of Psychologists, Employment Service Center
    Yvonne> Network, Federal Employment of People with Disabilities,
    Yvonne> Presidential Task Force On Employment of Adults With
    Yvonne> Disabilities, Fighting for the Rights of Employers With
    Yvonne> Disabilities, Disability Advocacy Resources, IDEA, NOD,
    Yvonne> Job & Career Connections, Community Options, Disability
    Yvonne> Rights Advocates, Advocate's Office, Consortium for
    Yvonne> Citizens with Disabilities, Disabilities Institute, AAPD,
    Yvonne> SFSU Disability Institute, ADA, New Jersey's Community
    Yvonne> Colleges, UCPNJ, APA, Monmouth County Office of
    Yvonne> Disabilities, MOCEANS, LIFT, and plenty more. To my
    Yvonne> dismay, some advocators already have wished me good luck
    Yvonne> while passing the buck to Uncle Chuck. If any
    Yvonne> organizations have any complaints about my personal
    Yvonne> experiences, they are welcome to contact me and explain
    Yvonne> how they assist people with physically disabilities.

    Yvonne> On November 7, 2002, Monmouth County Office of
    Yvonne> Disabilities asked me to work on their web site!!! This
    Yvonne> volunteer job involves adding content to the site. It is a
    Yvonne> pleasure to be doing something else besides attending
    Yvonne> school! So far, I have designed several of the following
    Yvonne> categories: Faces, Resources, Voting, Transportation, ADA,
    Yvonne> News, Announcements, Health, Careers, and Letter From The
    Yvonne> Director. This information can be viewed at
    Yvonne> http://www.monmouthhumanservices.org/disabilities/index.asp?action=1.
    Yvonne> Currently, my work is being reviewed. Since the review
    Yvonne> process is a forever wait, I am extremely bored all over
    Yvonne> again because I do not have much to do!

    Yvonne> For more information, see
    Yvonne> http://home.att.net/~ysinger/me.htm.

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]                   ICQ Number:  33006854