EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Comden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:45:23 -0700
Bill,

This may not address your specific problem, but it would be in the list of
things I'd try. In fact, I encourage anyone who uses a PC to do the
following whenever they think they are experiencing odd behavior from
their computer...

Get a copy of Ad-aware software from www.lavasoft.de -- it is free and is
a moderate-sized download (about 1.5 MB). It will scour your hard drive
for spyware that may have been inadvertently installed over the course of
the last few years.  Sometimes spyware/adware makes some significant
changes to how your system works. I've been using various versions of it
for over 18 months now and I think it not only has been a very useful
tool, it's also eye opening for those who don't understand the kinds of
sneaky things that get installed in the course of installing so-called
freeware and shareware.

If you have installed various patches/updates from Microsoft that may have
affected how NatSpeak works as well, though I haven't personally
experienced this.  Have you considered upgrading to Win98? In my
experience it was more stable than Win95.

Lastly, I'd try a complete uninstall/reinstall, including your speech
files (move the current ones to another location on your drive, under a
new folder). This will help determine whether the problem is a corrupted
user file.

-*- Dan Comden                   [log in to unmask]
    Adaptive Technology Lab      http://www.washington.edu/computing/atl/
    University of Washington