EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:32:20 -0400
Hi Jennison, Stephanie,

What OS is the test being given in?  I can't believe that they are
actually using a different OS since Windows is so ubiquitous.
However, here are some suggestions.

If this is Unix or Linux, then there is speech available at least for
the text portions.  I don't know about the graphs.  You could use
X-Windows but Gnopernicus is nowhere near ready for prime-time.

If you want text for Unix, suggest Emacspeak.  If you want to hook up
a PC to a Unix system, that would work too, I think.

The GRE has to make accommodations.  I got my GRE in Braille.  But
that was twenty years ago.

My suggestion would be to talk to the computer people who designed the
test, *not* the secretary in the office.  A secretary wouldn't know
the difference between Window9x Windows-NT or Windows-XP.  Find out
exactly what program this is and what OS.  Then go from there.

It sounds like they're using PC's as dumb terminals, but they still
have to have an OS.

If the thing is really in some kind of Unix or Linux,  there may be a
work-around.  Sheesh, what kind of stunt is the bureaucracy trying to
pull this time!  I dunnow as I can be of much mor help till I know
what the score is.  But I wish you well.

Ann P.

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]                   ICQ Number:  33006854

September online courses on accessible information technology:
Barrier-free Information Technology http://easi.cc/workshops/adaptit.htm
Advanced Barrier-free Web Design http://easi.cc/workshops/advwbsyl.htm
LD and Information Technology http://easi.cc/workshops/ld.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
CCourses and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
To sign off this list
send e-mail to [log in to unmask] saying
signoff easi