EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:04:48 -0700
MathML itself is accessible.  Problem is that there are no browsers that
can display mathML in audio or braille.  Until one or more become
available, then mathML remains accessible in principle only.  Actually one
can grab the source code and read it directly.  Even if one learns mathML,
that's a pretty clumsy way to access the math.

The Tiger embosser can emboss mathML in DotsPlus braille when the mathML is
displayed with the IBM Tech Explorer.  IBM is also working to make Tech
Explorer display in audio, but I do not know what the time scale will be.

John
At 07:16 AM 7/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>We occasionally need to put math notation on the Web. I've heard
>MathML recommended as the way to do this. I test pages with JAWS and
>HPR, but can get neither application to properly read formulas, with
>MathML or not. The only thing that seems to work is graphical
>formulas with well written ALT text that is crafted to sound like an
>instructor reading the formula. This seems like an approach that,
>given the speed and randomness of technological progress, may or may
>not be quickly outdated.
>
>So what works? Is there a preferred method? Do I just need to enhance
>my skills with JAWS and HPR? Any help would be appreciated. I've
>searched through a number of lists and turn up nothing definitive.
>

>-
>David R. Stong,
>graphic designer & Web user advocate
>(814)865-1843
>225 Computer Building, University Park, PA 16802
>Working for Universal Design:
>http://cac.psu.edu/training/outlines/accessibility
>
>Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity, and
>the diversity of its workforce.

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278