EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:19:36 -0500
Ellen - The Manhattan, Kansas Public Library has had an Assistive
Technology Center since 1997.  We have an instructor in the center,
20 hours a week.  Patrons do have to make appointments which last an
hour.  Our town is about 50,000 people.  We average 10 appointments a
week.  The other hours, the instructor works on different software
and issues that patrons encounter while learning the software.  We
have patrons who come in once or twice for information and we have
patrons who come in for a year or more to master a piece of
software.  The Center is an essential component of service to the
patrons of our community.  Our web site lists the hardware and
software available.  The address is:
http://www.manhattan.lib.ks.us/libservices/atc.shtml  Hope this helps.   Ann

>In Maine we are applying for a broadband technology grant to provide
>access to underserved and unserved areas. We want libraries to serve as
>community anchors with Public Computer Centers. Thanks to our Acting
>State Librarian's commitment to accessibility,  we will be including
>accessible workstations in the equipment request.
>
>Could someone point me to the most update information on accessible
>workstations: what is recommended as basic requirements and what would
>be even better to have. And the costs, of course.
>
>We want this accessible equipment and software to benefit the community
>but not burden the library staff with a huge training level so it's
>never used. Libraries are being hit with budget reductions but a
>train-the trainer program will be provided. A very large monitor to
>easily magnify content is just one example.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ellen
>
>Ellen Wood
>Maine State Library Web Coordinator