EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Rebman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:26:15 -0600
Ok, I am not being specific enough, so here comes a more detailed
description of what I am looking for and why...

I want one of those small pocket-sized electronic devices that fits in a
shirt pocket, clips on your belt, etc.  They typically have a slot for a PC
memory card of some sort, a couple of batteries, and are used exclusively
with headphones.  I want this primarily for listening to music -- not so
much for recorded books (exercise bicycles can get pretty boring without
something to listen to).

I am not interested in any kind of software solution or anything that
requires a laptop or other bulky machine.  The machines I am looking for
are typically smaller than a pack of cigarettes -- the Sony Vaio Music Clip
for example, is only about a half inch in diameter and 4 inches long --
about the size of a fat, short pen, and holds about an hour's worth of music.

Most of these devices I have encountered use a jog wheel in combination
with an LCD screen to operate the unit and make track selections, etc.  I
want to know if there are any blind people out there who have found one of
these devices that use buttons and switches in place of the jog wheel and
LCD screen menus.  Also, the software that allows you to build play lists
and download them to the device has to be accessible (this is the problem
with the Sony) with a screen reader.

Thanks again for being patient with me,

Jim

James A. Rebman

Cognitive Levers Project
Center for Life-Long Learning and Design
Department of Computer Science
University of Colorado, Boulder

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent.  It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the
opposite direction."

 - E. F. Schumacher