EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vikki Stefans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:57:53 -0500
As a follow up to last weeks' web chat about this subject I am writing
back about accessibility and lackthereof for Corel Presentations.  Corel
has some advantages in terms of image handling and editing, and more
flexibility in selecting backgrounds and individualizing to each slide.

However the earlier versions, 7 and 8, do not allow for tabbing to
navigate Slide Edit view.  You add a slide in this view with Alt-I-N and
then you could hit Enter to get the default of a bullet text slide; again
it does not allow tabbing to get other slide layouts.  Page up and down
megotiate from slide to slide in this view.  Version 10 does allow tabbing
and I need to check on version 9, which is the one with a free download
limited version.

Use Alt-V-O to get to outline view.  This can be used directly or you can
paste in plain text with tabs to get text to various levels.  Shift-tab
goes back up a level in this view.  Default levels are title-subtitle for
the first slide, then title-subtitle-bulleted text.  Subtitles are omitted
if you put in two tabs after the flush left title level text is entered.

Speaker notes may be a simple way to get a web show to include the
information that would be spoken during a live presentation.  Use
Alt-R-S-N to get to this for each slide; it gets to Slide Properties at
the Speaker Notes tab where you can type in notes.  You can tab to the
drop-down list of slides and arrow down and enter.  The "usual" way to get
to this is a right-click menu for each slide that requires you to right
click anywhere in the slide not covered by an object, or in Outline View
right click the little slide icon.  These will be reproduced in a text
paragraph beneath the slide when you convert to html; html tags can be put
in for this purpose to allow for hotlinks,etc.  There is a button you can
tab to that says "Insert Text From Slide" that puts your slide text in
there line by line.  You can also ctrl-tab to the other items on the slide
properties menu.

Overall I aam disappointed in my favorite company's presentation software
from an accessibility point of view; I will report back on Corel 9 and on
some "good" examples of web slide shows I have come across.

Please give me any specific questions that would be of help using this
software.  I want to thanks Dick Banks and Norm Coombs for a really
helpful experience with the web chat, it was my first time using
Chatterbox!  I will try to persuade our department to try it for on-line
meetings.  I would like to persuade Corel to create a more interactive
method of htmll conversion and to add a text view like Powerpoint as well
as built-in options to download RTF and/or the run-time version.

Vikki Stefans, M.D., pediatric physiatrist (rehab doc for kids) at UAMS
and Arkansas Children's Hospital.  Working Mom of Sarah T. and Michael C.,
and wife of Henry Stefans, travel agent extraordinaire.  Every mom is a
working mom!- OK, dads too. Other address: [log in to unmask]