EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:53:58 -0500
NLS is going to a digital talking book format, but they have essentially said it won't be a CD-ROM based system like the current players.  They are waiting for solid-state memory to come down in price, and at the NFB convention last week Curt Cylke said that the digital conversion would be done in 7 years.  They want something simple to operate, and memory has the advantage of no moving parts.

It is unrealistic to think that the federal government is going to buy millions of these machines.

We will get there, but probably not this way.

David Andrews