EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:44:43 -0500
> I think that although the alt text is
> not being read automatically, it ma

Hello Lloyd,

You are correct to suspect that it is possible for screen reader users to
extract the Alt text from images embedded in Word files. It can be done, but
the process is tedious. I doubt there are many content providers who bother to
include the alternative text in images in a Word document, and probably fewer
who know how to do it. Thankfully, when an author uses the WordArt feature,
Alt text is generated automatically.

So here are the five steps to create or read Alt text associated with an image
in a Word document:

1. Select the object.
2. Right click on the object, or press Shift F10, or press the Application
key.
3. You have just activated the context menu for the image. Choose "Format
Picture..." from the menu.
4. This will invoke a dialog box with the title "Format Picture." The dialog
box has tabbed pages. Go to the tab titled "Web."
5. The alternative text appears in an edit field.

The process for getting to the alternative text, if it is provided, is rather
involved. Hopefully the makers of screen reading software will eventually
cause this text to read automatically when an image has keyboard focus.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor + Associates Inc.
Workplace Accommodation Consultants
www.interlog.com/~acantor

At 09:37 PM 1/12/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Screen Reader Experts,
>
>Do any screen readers handle the alternative text associated with images,
Word
>Art, and ClipArt that are inserted in Word documents? JAWS 4.51 does not
>automatically read these Alt texts, but what about the latest version, or
>other screen readers? (Note: when you save a Word document in HTML, the Alt
>text comes through fine.)
>
>If anyone wants to experiment with an "accessible" Word 2000 document that
>consists entirely of images, I have attached a file that contains an image
and
>an example of Word Art. Both objects have alternative text.
>
>Alan

 See EASI Special October Bonus offer at http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI November courses are:
Barrier-free E-learning, Accessible Internet Multimedia and Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi

>>> Error in line 8 of EASI.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<