EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:37:52 -0800
Ann said:

Nice to meet you.  There's a lot out there, you just have to work at
getting a hold of it.
<snip>
If your kids are print handicapped, e.g. visually impaired, blind,
learning disabled, get them signed up for bookshare.  It's costly, but
well worth the price.  Also for audio material, RFB&D is good, as well
as LOC program.
---
Hi Ann,
I would love to hear from you.  You are more than welcome to write me
privately.  I have always had an open door policy.

Funny, I wasn't even thinking about looking for additional resources for my
kids.  I will have to keep that in mind.  My youngest son is only moderately
impaired.  One of the issues they have is very much a saving grace:   they
do not fit into a regular class room because they are profoundly gifted.
This makes them a challenge to keep up with but, when combined with the
devotion of their "Amazon Mom", it means they can play the hand dealt them
and have full lives.

My oldest son has some visual impairments.  He has had no trouble with
reading regular books.  But I can't move the furniture  in his part of the
apartment and when I finally understood the degree and complexity of his
visual problems, I threw my hands up and decided to accept his preference
for color combinations like orange and black.  I tease him that he dresses
like The Great Pumpkin.  But he is happy and that is what matters.  He
revels in being weird, an attitude I have actively fostered.  I adore the
child, so he has good self esteem and figures he is okay "as is" and does
not go around lamenting "why me?"

His situation is very complex.  I do not mind explaining but I don't want to
drone on endlessly and bore everyone to tears.

Michele

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created
 them."
- Albert Einstein.

 See EASI Special October Bonus offer at http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI November courses are:
Barrier-free E-learning, Accessible Internet Multimedia and Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi

>>> Error in line 8 of EASI.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<