EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"W. Nick Dotson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Nick Dotson
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:37:47 -0500
I was so moved I wrote Ms. Topfer the following,
"Dear Ms. Topfer,

"I am a 49-year old blind American.  As the first blind Eagle Scout from a sighted troop, and as the eldest son of a proud
Air Force Master Sergeant, and a person who knew his country would deny him the privelege of serving in her military to
help bring his friends home quicker from Vietnam, I yearned for my first opportunity to vote in 1972, and have rarely
missed even a local election since.

However, I have been angered and embarrassed by the difficulties and lack of privacy I have encountered while at the
polls as well meaning but ill-trained Elections Workers struggled and fumbled their way through the process of assisting
me in casting my vote; and I have deeply resented the lack of privacy in this process.  My first wife, Margie, who died on
February 10th, 1999 (we were married on 03-22-75--I proposed to her the first day we met 08-30-73) and I often went to
the polls together.  Both had grown up in politically inclined households, I always interested, and she disengaged until I
showed her the light...  (grin)  However, because of divergent religious perspectives, we often voted on opposite  sides
of a variety of issues!  We very much disliked the fact that as blind people, both of us were placed in a position of
hearing each other's votes, and so did those around us.

As a citizen and tax payer, I very much encourage you to do everything you can to assist us in obtaining our full
birthright, as American Citizens who happen to have a Disability which restricts us from utilizing current voting
technologies independently, to insure that we obtain those rights and opportunities.

Yours Respectfully

Walter Nick Dotson/Proprietor of Dots-On Enterprises"