EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:34:16 -0700
Jack,
St Mary's University in Canada has worked on this use of Voice recognition.
"The Liberated Learning Project has received a $1.2 million dollar grant from the J. W. McConnell Family Foundation. It follows on a project initiated in 1998 by Dr. David Leitch, Director of Saint Mary's University's Atlantic Centre of Research, Access and Support for Students with Disabilities." http://www.stmarys.ca/news/1999/liberated.html
I went to the IBM Research Center in New York and reviewed their progress.  What they had done is limit the Via Voice program so that punctuation was not caught and every time there was a pause in speech production a new line was started in the script.  I am sure was more done than this, but these were some observable elements.  The instructor still had to train the software and add new vocabulary for new lessons.  So the amount of time an instructor had to dedicate to the program was, in my opinion, extensive.
They were working on increasing its effectiveness and ease of use.
When I was there, it was as part of a second phase, designed to actually put the program in schools and gather data on its effectiveness.  Unfortunately,  budget restrictions, after 2000, caused ASU to sit out exploration and development.

Richard Jones
Assistant Director
Disability Resources for Students
Arizona State University, Main