EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Alfieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:57:22 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 30th 2002

Pulse Data Releases "KeyWeb", The First Portable Web Browser For Persons
Who
Are Blind

Pulse Data International is pleased to announce the launch of KeyWeb, a
web-browser developed to provide BrailleNote users with portable on line
access.

KeyWeb is the first portable solution of its kind developed specifically
for
people who are blind and is the latest in a series of applications
developed
by Pulse Data to compliment the powerful user friendly features already
offered in the BrailleNote  and VoiceNote product ranges.

Through the BrailleNote and VoiceNote internet access is available from
either an internal modem or via an internet connection. Once connected
KeyWeb enables users to navigate the world wide web and use the internet
for
research, shopping, banking, to download books and for various other
tasks.

In addition to this KeyWeb can be used easily to fill out forms for
purchasing items on-line, for researching information using popular
search
engines and it can be used without the assistance of a PC and screen
reader
to access a
browser.

The release of KeyWeb further highlights Pulse Data's ongoing commitment
developing and enhancing its product range to meet its customer's needs.

Jim Halliday the President and CEO of Pulse Data HumanWare says, "many
customers told us that if we added an easy-to-use browser to the
BrailleNote
environment they would no longer have to carry around a heavy laptop
with a
complicated screen reader, so that's exactly what we've done."

Demonstrations of the Beta version of the KeyWeb application have also
received strong recognition from leading industry organisations. Mr.
Curtis
Chong, Director of Technology at the National Federation of the Blind
commented "a browser is an essential component in any e-mail-capable
device
today, and we are pleased that work on a browser for the BrailleNote has
been completed. Many of us have waited a long time for this to happen"

"A great big thanks goes out to our lean team of Beta testers who
assisted
with the Beta testing of KeyWeb," says Larry Lewis, Pulse Data's
BrailleNote
Product Manager "It's probably the best Beta process in which we have
ever
participated and assisted with facilitating.  All the testers gave
invaluable feedback to our programmers and in-house testers."

Lewis continues,  "Pulse Data has already given the marketplace the first
portable GPS system designed for the blind, now we're giving them the
first
portable web-browser and at Closing the Gap in October we will release
the
first synchronization tool, KeySynch, which will enable BrailleNote
users to
automatically synchronize address books, date planners, and e-mail
messages
with Microsoft Outlook on a PC."

Established in 1988, Pulse Data International has gained international
recognition for the design and manufacture of electronic devices for the
partially sighted and blind. Pulse Data International export products to
more than 30 countries, and has established sales offices in the United
States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Sweden, The Netherlands
and Australia.