EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jack Clevenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:08:12 -0700
Hi all in DSHHE-land and EASI-land,

As promised, here is a composite of the responses I received
from my inquiry earlier this week.

Jack Clevenger
Mesa Community College

1
Your question certainly does make sense.

I've never been an advocate for having policies to cover every decision we
make.  With or without a policy, however, these students are making the same
mistake that the federal courts have been making and the same mistake that
civil-rights opponents have been making from the beginning of the movement:
that "disability" is first, last, and always a status for receipt of
benefits -- as in legally-sanctioned charity.  Well it isn't.  It is a
matter of reasonable accommodation to ensure nondiscrimination by modifying
policies, procedures, and practices and by providing auxiliary aids and
services for accessing programs, services, and activities.  A run-on
sentence, perhaps, but nonetheless an summary.

Do these deaf students also want accessible parking?  How about Braille math
books?  If they don't need accessible computers, then they have no priority
to do so.

You don't need a policy, Jack.  You can just say no, using these computers
is not a part of the reasonable accommodations to which these students are
entitled.

If our programs want to have computer labs intended for all students in our
programs, regardless of specific accommodation right, that's fine.  We are
allowed to go beyond the level of accommodation required by the regulations.
And it may be arguable that deaf students need more time on computers tan do
other students and so they need tohave computers available to them in the
resource lab, or whatever you call it.  But if it becomes a matter that
students with disabilities are receiving significantly better computer and
communications services than other students, you may have some political
fallout over it.

Good luck.