EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:19:27 -0400
Hi Pranav,

Preface numbers with the "Numeral" command. For example, to produce "1234,"
say "Numeral one thousand two hundred and thirty-four." Alternatively, say
"Numeral one two three four."

As with many (but not all) NaturallySpeaking commands, you must not pause
after saying "Numeral." If you do pause, the word "numeral" will be inserted
into the document.

I find that the "Numeral" command significantly increases the likelihood of
success for numbers that begin with two and four, and to a lesser extent,
one and eight. These numbers are easily misrecognized because they are
homophones. NaturallySpeaking could interpret "234" as "to 34," and "4321"
as "for 321." If you say "Numeral 234" and "Numeral 4321" instead, there is
rarely a problem. Ditto for single digits. To produce "I saw 4 teenage
monkeys," I would say "I saw Numeral 4 <short pause> teenage monkeys." (If
you don't pause after the "4," NaturallySpeaking may interpret the sentence
as "I saw 14 age monkeys.)

If you want to dictate numbers only, turn on Numbers Mode. Numbers Mode lets
you dictate numbers and a few navigation commands only. This is useful in
spreadsheets. Turn on Numbers Mode by saying "Start Numbers Mode" or
"Numbers Mode On." When you are finished, say "Start Normal Mode" or "Normal
Mode On."

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor Access Inc.
www.cantoraccess.com

Hi Pranav,

In the Dragon Bar, under Tools / Options / Formatting,
make sure the radio button for "Automatically Format Text" is selected/on.

This should stop this numbers behavior.

Mary

Hi all,

I am using Dragon Naturally speaking preferred v8.1. Whenever I say a
number like 123, Dragon will spell out the number like one hundred
twenty three. I believe there is a way to turn this off in v8.1. Any
one any ideas?

Pranav