EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"W. Nick Dotson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Nick Dotson
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:43:32 -0500
Yes, but the amount of data on them--and seemingly obviously--the data format being used where one can get 40 hours
versus 80 minutes on a CD, the ability to switch speeds and search/move through the text, all indicate a player with
capabilities and format vastly different than those mass-produced...  Need we once again remind ourselves that "black
boxes" that do odd things, and are produced in relatively small amounts cost much more than those manufactured in
large quantities, especially where the R&D has been amortized.  Let us briefly consider the CD player.  Those of us born
during the era of phonographs remember the $1,000 price tags on the original CD players, before Miniature lasers were in
mass-production (also the same for Laser printers), and before relatively good Analog to Digital Converters were
available.  Yet, my Rega Planet CD-Player with more flexibility and better specs than the generally available off-the-shelf
Walk-Critter stuff cost a bit over $800.  And, there are players, and A-to-D converters which cost considerably more...
So, my advice is to get real and quit whining, if we're going to use specialized gear, which often we must, we're going to
pay a premium.  If you don't want to compete in the real world, you can be satisfied with a slate and stylus, and a NLS
Talking Book player, and expenses will be small--but so will income earning potential.  NOte please, that "You" refers not
to the poster to who's missive I'm replying--but to the generalized population who's ill-considered views the sentiments
below represent...

W. Nick Dotson