CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Robert G. Grimes" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 23:54:03 -0400
> Tresy Kilbourne wrote:
>
> >I said he wasn't a *shill* for capitalism. Nuance, nuance. Words matter.
> >Also, as Noam reminds his listeners, the truth value of a statement does
> >not depend on who's uttering it.
>
> Provided we are speaking the same language. That is not the case here,
> according to my dictionary "shill" is not a word.
> Snip
Snip

Pardon me for breaking in but the difference in our understanding of the
word "shill" is breathtaking...

Especially since I'm from Texas and we aren't noted for our vocabulary!
We say strange things in a strange way but "shill" is one of our words
and also one of the words of the American Heritage prounouncing
dictionary.  It is so nice to hear ones dictionary speak (of course,
some words are a little risqué) and I lured my grandchildren into using
one by making it pronounce nasty words repeatedly. It got their
attention right away and their father's attention, too. He said,
"Thanks, Bob, we could have done without that."

Our Texas State Fair, the nations largest, always had a lot of shills
luring others into the side shows and onto the rides. That is such a
common word here and one that I suspect we use several times weekly.

Just a comment as I was enjoying the dialogue but couldn't resist
commenting on the word...

Bob

shill ( sh¹l) Slang n. 1. One who poses as a satisfied customer or an
enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.
v. shilled shill·ing shills v. intr. 1. To act as a shill. v. tr. 1. To
act as a shill for (a deceitful enterprise). 2. To lure (a person) into
a swindle. [Perhaps short for shillaber]
--
Bob Grimes

http://members.aol.com/bob5266/
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/RGrimes_3/
http://www.phonefree.com/Scripts/cgiParse.exe?sID=28788
Jacksonville, Florida
[log in to unmask]     [log in to unmask]

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore....."