CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:41:45 -0400
I have reviewed the LETS schemes. As much as I admire the initiative, I
also feel that unless other reforms are implemented, it will sacrifice an
individual's liberty and freedom in favour of the "community".

Basically, the system gives every community who chooses to adopt their
own currency, the financial status of "nation state". In order to function,
the community assumes the right to levy fees (taxes) on businesses which
come to the community, so that the local currency will be "backed" by a
certain amount of national currency. Thus who ever controls the financing
of the community currency can control the nature of "outside" business in
the community. Thus an individual seeking to by "outside" products may
find it impossible, because outside suppliers refuse to pay the "taxes".

Also because the currency CAN NEVER leave the community, this puts
effective limitations on transactions between individuals  inside
and outside the community.

In short, its the money-system of the nation state revisted, emphasizing
the rights of the community (mini-nation) over the individual.

The best way to safe guard the freedom and liberty of the individual is to
legalize some sort of system of truely individualized money-creation.

Harry Veeder