CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matt Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 01:48:19 -0400
On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Carkner wrote:

> Uh, I always though noam chomsky was an anarchist.
> This person thinks he isn't...but I'm still on noam's side.
> http://elaine.teleport.com/~jaheriot/whochoms.htm
> He has made me understand so many things, I can't blame
> him for not showing me more.

If you read his writing, he is clearly not an anarchist.  You could
reasonably say he is "associated with anarchism," or that he "likes
anarchist ideals."  But he has said he is not sure if government should
be eliminated altogether, which means he is not sure if he is an
anarchist.  As Emma Goldman put it, anarchism is a theory that states all
forms of government are wrong and harmful.

If you are not sure of government, you cannot call yourself an
anarchist--indeed you cannot call yourself much of anything until you make
up your mind.