CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:02:49 -0700
carlos levi corea wrote:
>Can someone explain to me what the electoral college is? Is that true that
>is not the popular vote the one electing the president but the electoral
>college? If it is true, What is the function of the popular vote? I'm sorry
>for asking a question so off the subject, but I am not an American and I
>find interesting to find out more about the American system. Thank you.

That's an easy one, carlos. The electoral college is actually a sub agency
of the department of defense. Say I'm drunk one election day and vote the
wrong way. Well, one vote doesn't matter very much. But say we are all
drunk and vote the wrong way. The electoral college will quickly swing into
action and nullify our collective drunkenness. This ensures that democracy
actually works. I've actually only received notice that I voted the wrong
way a couple of times.
-- Wat Tyler