CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Meecham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:05:16 -0700
The owner controlled US system was saved in 1940 by war production to take up the over
productions.  The accumulated need for goods fueled the boom after the war til early 70's with a war or two in between to help.  Present war production gives no boom but it
staves off more or less a depression, giving only recurrent serious
recessions.
Of course the same result could be gotten from public works, and much less
capital intensive, ei.e. better for workers.
But war and empire are Bobsy twins , not to be separated.