CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Meecham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 09:58:44 -0800
Below the question of aging jets is raised.  The US is operating very old jets
and not just on the cheapo airlines.  The one which went down off Long Island
a year ago was the fourth oldest in the 1000 plane 747 fleet, and that was Am.
Airlines.  This is done to further increase profits of course.  And if all costs
of airlines were internalized and subsidies eliminated,  traffic would turn to
trains (assuming that the same measures were taken agains the corp. pushed
autos).  Green house warming is 1/3 due to cars, and a significant part of
ozone depletion is due to planes.  Let's try to get some sanity in our transpo.
system.
wcm>