CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Woodford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:45:24 -0400
That "at least until 1991" for the timeline of the West's fostering of
Yugoslavian unity is the little  sneakily bent card that brings down most of
his deck. He doesn't understand social dynamics--versus economics or
whatever--any more than most people. A lot can--and did--happen in just a few
years post-1991. Not to mention before then.
The notion that the West either did not spark the secession of Slovenia (or
that even if it did the West's actions were inconsequential) is poppycock and
does not testify to an understanding of "social dynamics."  It smells more
like petty-bourgeois Slovenian nationalism.
But it is the kind of assertion--if it is Zizek's (can't tell who is talking)
that can get one invited as a well-paid visiting fellow on many a Western
campus!
But he is right about the fact that "just knowing" that the CIA did in
Nicaragua is not enough. I don't know, though, that Chomsky ever said that
"just knowing" is enough. As far as I can tell,, neither of the debaters is
out there organizing a political movement. But a lot of people have to know
about something and care about it before they'll go farther in mobilizing
against the perpetrators.
With the looming pauperization of many millons of  Americans, perhaps many
more can be convinced that the nation is threatened more by corporate
proto-fascism than by the godless and UN in black helicopters ful of Jews and
Blacks desirous of corrupting morals and genetic pools..