CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Brayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 03:02:12 EDT
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:11:52 -0400 "F. Leon Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
<clip>

>I would be most interested in hearing people opinions about what is
>said
>here.  I am not the author of the article.
>
>F. Leon
>

><clip>
>
>Intellectual property is recognized worldwide.
>
>As the US's recent standoff with China demonstrates, intellectual
>property
>is not a concept which has worldwide acceptance. Indeed, a major
>foreign
>policy objective of the United States has been to force other nations
>comply with its own intellectual property agenda - an unwelcome form
>of
>intellectual imperialism which is all too frequently ignored by
>watchdog
>groups.

<clip>

My Comments

It is indeed a myth, but not as expressed.  I have not observed the
United States trying to export their patent law.  We are unique on earth
in protecting individually owned property whether tangible or intangible
and whether found, purchased or created (intellectual). As applied to
intellectual property, these protections have attracted the immigration
of the most courageous, creative and ambitious individuals from around
the world causing what has been named the "brain drain."  It has become
anathema to the tyrants of other countries and trans-national power
concentrations such as corporations, foundations and religions, all of
whom seek to tether the common man, physically, intellectually and
spiritually, for the aggrandizement of the few.

Contrary to the myth as stated, the United States is actively importing
intellectual property protections which favor corporations and are
modeled principally after Japan’s. It is my opinion that the recently
proposed changes in our intellectual property laws have been initiated
and funded from without the US in order to decapitate our nation,
"leveling the playing field," so that the common men of other nations
will not be tempted to emigrate nor even agitate for the same protections
in their homeland..  It is a shame that our elected representatives
either do not understand this or have joined with the Global Utopian Mob
against their trusting, local constituents.

Pacifism is not passive
Freedom is not free.
Please make a contribution and
Complete this line for me.