CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lawrence Libby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 10:12:50 -0400
We seem to be in need of some concise definitions of a few terms such as
neoliberalism, anarcho-capitalism and anarchosyndicalism (why the hyphen in
one and not the other, I don't know.)  Also right vs. left libertarianism.

Neoliberalism, I will have a crack at, although after sending away for the
list of subscribers, I know there are others who can do this better than I.

Neoliberalism is a term only remotely related to the (largely false)
liberal/conservative dichotomy in USA politics.  It is used to describe an
economic trend also known as globalisation.  From Webster comes the
definition of liberal as "not restricted".  Neoliberalism favors
unrestricted trade.  This leads, in the eyes of many, to commodification of
most every aspect of life and the principal that if something does not
benefit the large corperations that plunder the world, it should be
discarded or at best, ignored.

As for the anarcho-related phrases, I highly recommend a web sight entitled,
"Liberty For the People" at

        http://www.tigerden.com/~berios/liberty.html

I was considering forwarding a few peices about anarcho-capitalism and
right-libertarianism to the list, but thay are kind of long.  If you don't
have web access, and if you don't mind 40+ kb's landing in your mailbox at
once, email me personally and I will send it on to you.  Again, I urge all
who have questions about anarchism to check out the above sight.

         -Larry

  "Open your eyes
   And look within.
   Are you satisfied