CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 19:01:57 +0000
> Money-systems should be scrutinized for their ability to manufacture
> consent...
>
> "Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not
>    who makes the laws!"
>    - Baron Rothchild
>
> Harry Veeder

I fully agree, they should be. If you mean by "money systems"
economic systems, like a comparison between soclialism and
capitalism, that argument seems to be raging in other posts. However,
if you simply mean to suggest the creation of a money system where
the rich never get *too* rich (and hence too powerful), one would
have to ask what the cutoff point is for "too much wealth".

Sounds good, but discussions such as these run the risk of hitting a
wall whenever one suggests that "all wealth should be distributed
equally". If so, then are we not killing ambition and discouraging
the incentive to excel in a chosen field? How is it that we can
encourage excellence while equally distributing wealth and changing
(or possibly eliminating) the notion of ownership?

Maybe once we can answer that we can then address the problem of who
gets to manufacture consent.

Would it not be enough simply to disallow private ownership of the
media and news outlets?

Paul King
Paul King              1660-309 Bloor St. E., Mississauga ON L4X 1R9
Tel: (905) 629-2138                     Email:  pking at idirect.com
Come visit my web page at: http://cgi.idirect.com/index///pking.html
"Show no favouritism to  your own discredit;  Let no one  intimidate
you  to  your  own  downfall."  ---  Sirach  4:22,  NAB  translation