CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:54:50 -0700
You, Bill Bartlett, wrote:

>Yes, but capital is free to migrate from Australia to China, from the US to
>Brazil. Labour is not so free.
I've always wondered about this perceived issue. Chomsky alludes to it
frequently too, but doesn't go into ramifications. What IF labor WERE as
mobile as capital? What would happen? Would high-paid, unionized workers
in First World countries chase after their jobs as they moved to
Indonesia, taking work in shantytowns and favelas at $1/day? I think not.
Or would low-paid, un-unionized Third World workers flock even more than
they already do now to industrialized nations, further exacerbating the
downward pressure on wages here? I think so. How then would one sell this
to the workers of the First World? WHY would one want to do so? Anyone
care to dispel my ignorance on the subject?

Oh. One other thing. Every year the Wall Street Journal endorses a
constitutional amendment that would read, "There shall be open borders."
Are we on the WSJ's side on this one?

_________
Tresy Kilbourne, Seattle WA
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless
series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." --H.L. Mencken