CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:25:09 -0400
Please read the following as it is, and then the reply.

- Don DeBar

----------

http://samsara.law.cwru.edu

And PDJ further said to Tresy Kilbourne:

>>  No concept is needed.  Just talk about copyright when you are talking
>> of copyrights, of patents when you ate talking of patents.  And
>> realize that both are the creation of statutes.

>> If you have to use a concept, you could use the one that the United
>> States Supreme Court usually uses:  monopoly.

In fact, the clearer definition of each of these two would be that they are
property rights (in literary or artistic works (copyright) or inventions of
various types (patent)) conferred by statute upon a person or persons. In
fact, they are similar to interests in real property in that many titles to
land originate in (letters) patent, i.e., grants by the sovereign (the
people, by their government, in the US) to a person or persons.  Although
the assistance of the government is helpful for, and sometimes enabling of,
 the creation and maintenance of a monopoly, it is not a necessary
prerequisite in the same sense that the acquisition of a copyright or
patent is.

In deference to those who fail to see the reason for this thread on
"Chomsky's list", it is my feeling that a discussion of the nature of
property rights and the role they play in society is fundamental to any of
Chomsky's philosophical ideas (or those of anyone else, as well.) If you
disagree, please try to convince me that I am wrong in this belief.

- Don DeBar