CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 19:59:06 -0400
 See below:
> From: Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [CHOMSKY] definition of capitalism, OVEE PRODUCTION
> Date: Wednesday, June 04, 1997 5:59 PM
>
> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, DDeBar wrote:
>
> > ----------
> > > From: Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
> > > To: [log in to unmask]
> > > Subject: Re: [CHOMSKY] definition of capitalism, OVEE PRODUCTION
> > > Date: Wednesday, June 04, 1997 1:47 PM

> > correct.
> > panics
> > >
> > > No, I disagree. The flaw is in the way money is both created and
> > > distributed. There is no economic requirement that a consumers
purchasing
> > > power must be set by their employment in the system of
> > > production. It is just a moral argument.
> >
> > Was it a moral argument in the Tulip Panic?
> >
> Perhaps I didn't express myself very well, but before I elaborat}< w%l#s$

Harry:
You did better in your previous post when you said (and this is a copy):
( I'll add the ">"s, but nothing else)
>Perhaps I didn't express myself very well, but before I try explaining
>again, can you tell me about the "Tulip Panic"? I have not heard of it.

The "Tulip Panic is one of the first recorded "supply and demand" problems
to make it to the (readily available) recorded history of Capitalism. In
Holland, in the early days of the "free market" (even then, it was not
really free, but that's another story), some people speculated in tulip
bulbs. After a period of much price inflation and wild speculation, the
price crashed. Look at your history books to find out the rest...this is a
pretty well-known event among both historians and economists.

- Don DeBar