CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 17:52:12 -0500
For your information:
DDeBar
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:26:23 -0800
From: Alexis Buss <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Wooden Shoe Books threatened by skinheads

Hello - I'm writing this on the road but just got news that Wooden Shoe,
Philadelphia's radical bookstore, has been threatened by skinheads.

On Sunday night/Monday morning, someone wheatpasted fliers reading "Death
to Mumia" and white supremacist propaganda to our windows.  A few
days before this, the store received an anonymous phone call threatening
to burn our "commie, nigger-loving store" down.  The Shoe is located near
South Street, where there have been occasional incidents of Nazi skins
attacking people.

The white supremacist literature originated from the David Duke-style
openly racist organization called the National Alliance.  The "Death to
Mumia" flier had a Minneapolis contact address for the "Death to Mumia
Coalition."

The Shoe displays prominently in our windows announcements for the
upcoming Peoples' Tribunal on the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal, and a variety
of announcements for other political actions in the city.  We also display
radical books, the variety of which are generally despised by
neo-nazi-types.

It seems to a number of Shoe collective members that we're not dealing
with an organized effort here, probably just a small group of amateurish
boneheads.  Nonetheless, we don't want to be entirely dismissive of the
threats, especially since we're just re-opening after an unsuspicious fire
that destroyed our store last February.

We would appreciate advice from folks who have dealt with this kind
of harrasment before.  Also any information on the groups I've mentioned
above would be appreciated (size, history of violence, organizational
attachments, addresses, etc.)

In other Philadelphia news, West Philadelphia Pirate Radio, Radio
Mutiny, was visited last Tuesday by the FCC.  The FCC had no warrant, so
they weren't allowed in and no equipment was taken away.  They delivered a
citation.  This is the fourth report I've heard in the past month of a
micro-powered radio station being visited by the FCC.  On Monday, a
well-attended demonstration was held in center city which got some good
press coverage.  Radio Mutiny has been going for almost a year, and has
been active in free airwave issues and have also helped organizing efforts
in creative ways, like taking a transmitter to rural Pennsylvania to help
an IWW organizing drive at a highly restrictive job training center for
young people.

Please respond directly to my address - I've cc-d this message to a number
of lists.

In solidarity,
Alexis Buss