CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:46:03 +1100
Wat Tyler wrote:

>I fail to see how corporations can be considered anything other than the
>logical consequences of demand for products. It can't be the case that
>supply creates demand. It must be the case that buyers consider certain
>products will make life nicer.

Earth to Wat... Earth to Wat...

Corporations are the logical consequence of production for profit. Your
silly assertion that corporations are set up to supply demand for products
flies if the face of common sense. As a teenager I made a crust (pizza in
those days) selling books door to door. I must say it never occurred to me
to suppose that any of my customers actually wanted the books I sold, it
was blindingly obvious to me even at that callow age that if they wanted
them they would simply go down to the bookstore and buy them.

That didn't stop me selling them these books, and it didn't stop them
buying them. Conclusion: I wasn't fullfilling any DEMAND, let alone need
(at least not for books, entertainment perhaps). I was simply SELLING
books.

The corporation I worked for profited and grew DESPITE obviously failing
your theory that to do so they must be supplying a demand.

Ergo: your justification for capitalism is flawed. Keep trying.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tasmania