CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 01:03:58 +1100
Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky wrote:

>And I add:  was it Gore Vidal who, by the same time the novel of
>"Chauncey Gardiner" was being published, said that if Americans were
>ever to have a local version of Fascism, its leaders would look more
>like a TV ad-man than a full blooded, blond, all-muscle Aryan?  It
>seems to me that all the observations in these messages are very pertinent,
>and that increasing xenophobia in the First World countries is a very
>serious red light for progressive or radical people the world over.

"Chauncey", I stand corrected.

>The military version of these TV-set Fascists seems to be the
>parallel phenomenon of militiamen.  Is there something the like
>outside the United States?  We Argentines have been a testing ground
>for this kind of groups, albeit under State protection, during the
>late 70s and early 80s, and we have long been subject to very subtle
>and brutal media pressure in order to dismantle our criticism of the
>"World Order, old and new" so aptly denounced by NC recently.

I have heard there are some pale imitations of the US militias in Aust.,
not really the same thing. I hadn't thought of the US militias in quite the
same context as state-backed death squads though. The US militias (correct
me if I'm wrong someone) appear to have a pathological suspicion of the
state and all its agencies don't they?

Tell me more about these Argentine versions. Are they still operating?

>Maybe the peculiarities of this country have provided a good testing
>area for tactics to be applied on First World populations under
>critical conditions. I say so because up to the mid-seventies my
>country was a very particular kind of Third World society, resembling
>in many non trivial aspects those of the First World.

Conversely, Australia likes to think of itself as a first-world country,
but has many non-trivial third world characteristics such as an economy
based quite sustantially on export of primary products, large foreign debt,
foreign capital domination...

Anyhow, as to your alert, you'll be relieved to know I'm not typical.
Hanson's rapid rise has alarmed many and substantial opposition has
mobilised against her.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tasmania