CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
James Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:56:00 -0800
1. So-called Flag "Desecration" Amendment
2. Calling all Veterans!

1.   A so-called flag desecration amendment is expected to be introduced in
the House of Representatives tomorrow, signaling the start of latest round
in the battle to preserve our First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Representatives Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-CA) and John Murtha (D-PA) have
announced they will sponsor the proposed constitutional amendment, and
supporters are claiming that 236 other Representatives have pledged to
co-sponsor. Two similar measures have previously passed in the House.

If enacted, this amendment would do irreparable harm to the First Amendment
by putting in place the only constitutional exception to freedom of speech
in our nation's history. If the bill passes the House and the Senate, 38
states would have to ratify the amendment for it to become part of the
Constitution.

TAKE ACTION TODAY by sending a free fax to your members of Congress from
the ACLU web site at:

http://www.aclu.org/action/flag106.html

2. Demonstrating that veterans do not speak with one voice on the flag
amendment is critical to our success.  That's why we are asking you to come
forward if you are a veteran, know of a veteran or have a familial
relationship with a veteran and oppose this proposed amendment.

If you fit any of these categories, please contact the ACLU Washington's
office via e-mail us at [log in to unmask] or by calling 202-675-2310.
Providing us with your name, address, e-mail address (if you have one) and
a brief description of your military service will help us to expand our
growing network of veterans defending the Bill of Rights!

You can find the voices of veterans opposed to the flag "desecration"
amendment at the ACLU website:

http://www.aclu.org/forms/nytimesad060298-vets.html

---
You are currently subscribed to action as: [[log in to unmask]]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to [log in to unmask]

* Some email programs allow you to click on a web address and
automatically go to the site. Others, like AOL, do not. If you use an email
program that
does not provide for clickable web addresses, copy the URL and paste it
into your web browser.