CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:54:16 -0400
----------
> From: Lawrence Libby <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [CHOMSKY] "I'm a communist" - Che Guevara
> Date: Sunday, June 22, 1997 5:33 PM
>
> DDeBar:
> >
> >Larger enterprises have the wherewithal to exploit
> >much more "efficiently"; look at the "company town" model, for example.
> >Also, the high unemployment pressure that they have helped to impose
place
> >them at a distinct advantage (in terms of waivers from state and federal
> >labor laws and regs, taxes, etc.), and their mere size, aside from
> >providing economies of scale, also allow them to wield considerably more
> >power against labor (e.g., legal costs that can be spent in litigation
> >against worker's claims, pension profiteering, etc., etc.) than the
small
> >owner.
>
> Here is an unscientific two-cents worth from someone who lives it 5 days
a week:
>  Although the above sounds good in theory, nowadays larger enterprises
(for
> whatever reason) tend to offer better benefits, better working conditions
> (ie air conditioning, tuition reimbursement, dental coverage) and higher
> wages. Perhaps having better working conditions is a technique for more
> efficient exploitation.   Absurd as this sounds, there is some truth to
it.
>          OSHA, (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) badly
> overburdened, just doesn't have time to inspect smaller businesses,
because
> the likleyhood of serious accidents is lower simply because fewer people
> work there.
>         -LL

I understand what you are saying. I lived in Dutchess County for a few
years. The entire county was a "company town" for IBM. IBM had unbelievably
high (for the area) salaries and benefits. Someone with an IBM job
(primarily manufacturing) that paid $30k/annum, with full medical, pension,
Credit Union, stock, mortgage assistance, etc. could perhaps find a job for
$15-20k/annum, no benefits, working at a law frim or some other small
business locally, IF THEY WERE LUCKY. But IBM cut most, or all, of it's
employees in Dutchess & (nearby) Ulster Counties. Why you ask? Good
question...

One thing I remember hearing when I was a youmgster was "the enemy of my
enemy is my friend." Interestingly, since the fall of the USSR, average
workers wages, the number of decent jobs, worker protections,  etc., have
been drastically cut, while the income gap between the highest and lowest
paid (of those still employed) AND the gap in wealth between the top 1% and
the bottom 25% of the population has soared. It used to be that this system
had to prove itself to be a better deal for workers than communism; no such
pressure exists anymore.Hmmm.

DDeBar