CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 23:06:46 -0700
You, William Meecham, wrote:

>How (see below) do corp.s take over small businesses.  Typically they
>do so by underpaying their labor.  Small business provides the typical
>owner with a middle class life.  After takeover not so for the remaining
>workers.
It's ironic to see us waxing nostalgic for the small businessperson, just
like all Republicans and Democrats do. Beware when everyone agrees on
something. It's usually untrue. John K. Galbraith has some pungent things
to say about this nostalgia. Basically, he argues that large corps are
less likely to lay off their workers during a downturn than small
business (precisely because they are large and less susceptible to
short-term market forces), more likely to discriminate against women and
minorities, offer better working conditions, etc., etc. Basic reason is
that big corporations are more efficient; that's why they tend to drive
smaller businesses out. JKG is no shill for capitalism (no marxist
either, but then neither's Noam); I tend to respect the freshness of his
observations. Something to consider.