CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Korber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 22:42:09 EDT
	Below is a quote from the agenda of the upcomng G8 summit. The agenda
document posted at the G8 website seems very vague to me. On the surface, it
sounds perfectly reasonable, even desirable with phrases like: " sustainable
improvement in living standards," " forgiveness of debt," and "combatting
poverty and inequality."
	But then there are more ominuos sounding phrases like: "structural
adjustment," "crisis prevention strategy,"  and "high stability dividend."
Anyone care to elaborate on what these squeeky clean gentlemen might be
really talking about. Am I overreacting when my mind flashes boots smashing
in doors in the middle of the night? I mean, if their intentions are so
lovely, what are they sweating about " unstable political environment marked
by armed conflict"?
	Actually I'm curious as to whether anyone can fill me in on the track
record of these yahoos. I'm looking for specific leads like any web links
where I can find more info about their shannigans.
Sincerely,
John Korber

From the agenda section of the G8 summit website:

"- Using multilaterally coordinated procedures, we propose binding and
complete cancellation of debts from development assistance in the Paris
Club for countries that qualify under HIPC [Heavily Indebted Poor Countries].
The debtor countries should use funds released in this way for projects which
foster sustainable development geared to combat poverty and inequality, and
which take
account of basic legal and social principles.

- In order to safeguard the share of multilateral creditors in the HIPC
[Heavily Indebted Poor Countries] initiative, the German government will make
a contribution towards the World Bank's HIPC Trust in 1999. The IMF should
also be enabled to make its contribution towards the HIPC without
compromising its support to the poorest countries.

The German government is ... prepared to make available funds to help
continue the [International Monetary] Fund's so-called "enhanced structural
adjustment facility" (through which the IMF assists its poorest members).

However, all attempts to bring about a sustainable improvement in the
living standards of people in the poorest countries through debt relief
or financial assistance will fail if they come up against an unstable
political environment marked by armed conflicts. Every debt relief
initiative must therefore be embedded in a comprehensive strategy for
conflict prevention. At my request, the G8 summit in Cologne is to
consider this issue in depth.

Elements of a crisis prevention strategy could include early
international coordination talks based on early warnings. They could
also include support for developing countries, for countries in
transition and for regional organisations in their own efforts to
improve early recognition of (and reaction to) crises and disasters.

In view of the high cost and human suffering caused by armed conflicts
in the poorest countries, funds made available for a successful strategy
aimed at crisis prevention represent an investment that will create a
high stability dividend. "

From: Issues of the Summit
http://www.g8cologne.de/02/00009/index.html