CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harry Veeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:00:25 -0400
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky wrote:

> misguided Utopia. But inasmuch as defending small business entails a
> heartfelt longing for a more humane society, where each member was
> able to sustain him/herself without forced expoitation by some
> Leviathan of money (whether this image is true or false, it is not
> important), there is much to be learnt from "small business"
> defenders.  It is, simply put, the ambivalent situation of middle
> layers of modern societies vis a vis the two definitively basic ones:
> labor and capital.

The overwhelming majority of people in "advanced" industrialized nations
cannot and do not sustain themselves. We are all dependent on one another
for our survival. The self-sustaining individual of
today is modern myth, whereby a person's earned income has been equated to
the private "industry" of the individual who can hunt and/or grow
enough to feed themselves.

Harry Veeder