CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Dobkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:18:53 -0800
My grandmother's father and brother were killed in this
genocide, Another of Grandma's brothers was a slave
laborer for about a year in this period.

The main phase of the genocide was carried out by the
Young Turks (rulers of the Ottoman Empire after the
sultan was deposed in 1908)in WWI, especially 1915; but
the slaughter continued under Ataturk as he rose to
power after the war. Pontic Greeks and Assyrians were
also the victoms of genocide. The final phase climaxed
with the burning of Smyrna in September of 1922, as
chronicled by my mother, Marjorie Housepian Dobkin, in
her book "Smyrna 1922: The Destruction of a City."
This book, which was chosen by the London Times as
Book of the Year in 1971, is now in print again in a
paperback edition from Newmark Press. For more details
(on the genocide or the book), please feel free to
write to me.

-Jay Dobkin