CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:31:53 -0700
You, DDeBar, wrote:

>Basically, we
>taxpayers have set up Lochkeed, et al, in the business of launching stuff
>into space for big bucks, and they, through their corporate lobbying $$$,
>can direct the extent of competition that NASA can offer. Bad enough this,
>but as it turns out, the government is still going to be one of their
>biggest customers!
I was not really aware of this going on, but it doesn't surprise me. I
also agree that it stinks. Do you know of any recent articles that talk
about this in detail?

The difference, to me, between this example and computers is that I
seriously doubt that one day everyone will have their own space shuttle.
In other words, in the case of the space program the profits are being
privatized, while the costs remain socialized, which of course is the
typical case these days.

_________
Tresy Kilbourne, Seattle WA
"'My country, right or wrong' is a thing that no patriot would think of
saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or
sober.'" -- G. K. Chesterton