CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:02:13 -0700
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Paul King wrote:

> > I fail to see how corporations can be considered anything other than the
> > logical consequences of demand for products. It can't be the case that
> > supply creates demand. It must be the case that buyers consider certain
> > products will make life nicer.
> > -- Wat Tyler

I think that's what they teach in what is called economics class, but it is
a gross simplification and rationale for the madness of a focus on
production for profit, at the expense of production for human use and need.

 Corporations are logical consequences..of monoploy capitalism, which
engulfs and devours small enterprise, no matter how strongly those
enterprises products may be demanded. Try demanding a Tucker automobile
because you think it would make life nice. Better yet, are people who cannpt
afford housing simply fools who don't understand how nice it would be to
live in a house?

Total reliance on a superstition called market forces, under the control of
high priests and rabbis of wall street and finance central, are the major
problem we face. The second major problem is breaking the bonds of thinking
and analysis - or lack of same - which we learn by being subjects of those
forces. Only a moron wouldn't know what to buy to "make life nicer", and
even some morons are probably capable of shopping at the mall. Provided
they have something to shop with, which is rather important.

fs>