CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 07:56:34 -0800
on 1/31/00 10:30 AM, Robert G. Grimes at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Tresy,
>
> In line with our recent comments the following URL gives a little more insight
> into the problems facing privacy on the net:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_4296.html
>
> I thought everyone might be interested in this as apparently everything we do
> is
> catalogued and saved somewhere...  Which explains some of our strange Email...
Bob:

No argument here. Too bad Harper's doesn't web publish its articles; they
had a colloquy on the subject in a very recent issue. Worth checking out.

Here's a question, however: how many people here use PGP in their private
email? I can't seem to get any of my friends to use it, yet they claim to be
concerned about privacy. PGP partisans compare sending unencrypted email to
sending all your regular mail on the back of postcards. If we are concerned
about privacy, how come we don't act like it?

Tresy