From:
CATHERINE JOHNSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:45:43 -0500

   I sometimes think about how much easier it would be if my 3 year old son
   (wheat and casein allergic) and I (celiac) could just eat like "normal"
   people.  Then I remember how tired and lousy I feel when I eat something
   with gluten.  I also remember the day after Thanksgiving when Paul ate a
   plateful of macaroni and cheese at a neighborhood party.  My son is
   speech delayed and when his diet is "clean" he really speaks and acts
   age appropriate.  From Thanksgiving until Christmas, Paul would scream,
   point and shout for things, rarely using the correct words.  He could
   not maintain mental focus for more than a few minutes and had lousy eye
   contact.  These memories really keep me going.

   Little people (and us big ones) will eat things they should not.  I
   found great relief in accepting this as a fact.  All we can do as their
   mothers is try to make sure their environments are safe for them and
   live through the results.  The easiest thing for me to do right now for
   Paul is to have an almost wheat free and dairy free home.  McDonald's is
   a treat for the rest of the family -- not for us.

   Toward this goal of making Paul's environment safe and healthy, his
   pre-school class is having a cooking session on Friday.  I think they
   are making hot chocolate and doughnuts since that is the scheduled snack
   after the lesson.  Does anyone have a good suggestion for a doughnut
   that is quick and easy to make so I can send some to school with him
   this week?

   Cathy in CT