From:
Kathy Ebersberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 23:09:24 -0400

Karyn Walker recently wrote that she was concerned about her weight gain
after going on a gluten free diet despite continued workouts.  I gained an
enormous amount of weight after converting to a gluten free diet.  I recently
discussed this with my gastroenterologist and what he said made sense to me.
I pass it along for what it's worth.

When you are first diagnosed with celiac disease the villi (the part of the
intestine which absorbs food) are flattened and their ability to absorb food
is therefore compromised.  Once you go on a gluten free diet, the villi rebud
and can absorb more from the food you eat.  Therefore, if you eat the same
amount of food as you did before you were diagnosed, you will gain weight.