From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 10:24:44 -0700

Hello!
Thanks to everyone who responded.  I actually ended up going to the ER yesterday because I still have a sore feeling in my upper abdomen.  It kind of feels like a knot.  It isn't horrible pain, just an annoying feeling that is there and isn't going away.  A lot of responses had thought I could possibly have a "bug" from being out of the country, so I went to the ER to see if they could rule that out and figure out what the problem is.  After having x-rays of the abdomen and quite a bit of blood work, everything looked fine.  They said I am still anemic (story of my life!), but nothing else showed anything to be wrong.  He referred me to my GI doctor and released me with a prescription for Reglan.  I will follow up with my GI.

Once again, thank you for all the great info and all of the support!  Summary follows:

My gluten reactions are always the same - almost immediate pain when the
offending 'stuff' hits my intestines (I can 'feel' the food moving through
inflamed and kinked passages), and then colon spasms which results in
diarrhea eventually as my body tries to get it all OUT ASAP!
Now, if I get a rotavirus or stomach flu, I get pain and vomiting and all
that, but it's totally different from getting glutened and lasts a lot
longer.  I've been diagnosed for five years now, BTW.
I'm voting for the idea you picked up a 'bug' on your trip, either from a
change in the water or from a virus you'd not encountered before.  A friend
of mine says that east coast diseases are different from west coast.  My
doctor says air travel has erased all that.  But, every time I visit my
grandson (who goes to day care) on the east coast, I get one of his
diseases.  The last was a nasty viral bronchitis that lasted for five weeks
(yeah, you try driving alone across the US and not being able to even talk
:-)  ).
**********
For gluten contamination, my bowel movements (sorry to be gross) are gray-green and watery. I also immediately head into a depression because the serotonin in my gut is altered. But...that's me. I suppose that you could've picked up a bug along the way that has nothing to do with Celiac and that's why your symptoms are different. (Bad bacteria etc.)

If you think it's gluten contamination, it could've been a natural soap in the hotel that contained wheat germ (I've made THAT mistake before when I licked my fingers afterwards!) Or, sometimes the restaurants will steam vegetables over water that has been used for other things. So many options for contamination!

I hope you feel better soon. Take lots of enzymes and vitamins and ride it out. If it doesn't go away, do see a doctor.
**********
 I just wondered if you are alright with milk, (lactose), yogurt, cream, icecream, soft cheeses, that sort of thing?  Sometimes celiacs find that they can't digest lactose containing foods, and they can cause d and wind, pain etc, similar to gluten, especially early on after dx.  Lactose intolerance if suffered, mostly clears up after a few months on GF food.
**********
Your symptoms sound like accidental gluten, but it could also be food poisoning.  If I get gluten and have a reaction, the cramping is really sever, to the point of doubling over with pain.
**********
Unless you can look back and find the source of gluten, I don't think there is any way to be absolutely sure. One small gluten exposure is not going to raise your antibodies so a blood test won't help. I have had different reactions to known gluten. My usual reaction is red eyes, lousy mood and just feel bad. The last time this happened I got a good dose and also had stomach pain and diarrhea - not usual symptoms for me.

According to Dr. Guandalini, internal reactions can last up to 8 weeks. My outward reaction lasts from a few days to a week.
**********
1.  You really can't tell if you are having a gluten reaction or if it's from something else, such as parasite, etc.  Even though you may be really, really careful, there is always the possibility of cross contamination - whether that by gluten or even someone not washing their hands properly.  If your problems do not get better quickly, I'd recommend seeing a doctor to rule out parasites though.

2.  My reactions are always different.  Sometimes within 2 hours I have diarrhea, sometimes I get this weird head thing, sometimes just a lot of gas and bloating that hurts to move, sometimes I feel like I have glass in my stomach.  Each of these times I've been out and have confirmed that I have had some type of gluten, even though I'm so careful.  Other times I get these symptoms, but can't confirm (only suspect) that I did get gluten.

3.  The length depends upon the type symptoms.  Usually a couple days and I'm good to go.  If I end up with diarrhea (I'm also low in aldosterone so it's hard for me to maintain fluids)
i find that my reactions differ... from stomach pain, to vomiting, to all kinds of gi symtoms that can turn into joint aches and pains. i've found it depends on how much i ingest, for how long, and in what quantities.  if i've ingested a lot quickly, it's more severe, and longer lasting joint-wise, whereas if it's something in a low "dose" over a long period of time.. it can be more like a heart burn kind of reaction, and mild discomfort over a long period of time.  at times it's taken a lot of detective work to figure out where it's coming from.... like an ingredient that changed that i thought was safe and just haven't re-checked.... as opposed to something that i thought was safe, and ate a big portion of... but was just WRONG about to begin with.  i think you just have to get to know your own body, and trust it.  if you think you've ingested soemthing, start tracking what you've eaten, drank, and possibly inhaled (believe it or not.....) it all
 depends on how sensitive one can be.. and all people are different.....
I react to soy and dairy as well as gluten.  It's possible you've developed an
intolerance to a food other than gluten.  Keep track of the ingredients of the
foods that are gluten free and cause a reaction in you and see if there is a
common ingredient.
Summary #2 to follow.