Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:32:31 -0400

1)  There is a Wendy's that my son like to go to. Damion's is  another
option, a little nicer than fastfood, but I can't say too much about
their menu as I have only been there once. Maybe you can check it on the
web since it is a chain. There is a healthfood store that carries a
number of gluten-free items. It is called Junas and is located on Peace
Street off of 15th. There are several grocery stores and a Walmart in
town as well, so shopping shouldn't be a problem. In Wilkes Barre (about
20 min. north of Hazleton) there is an Outback.

2)  I have eaten out at a local place called Ferdinands on 15th street.
Ask the hostess to get the owner for you.  I don't remember his name,
and he will go over the menu with you.  He was cautious about his
choices, but I wasn't sick.  I think I had chicken tenders in butter and
garlic and a baked potato and veggie of the day, the Italian spinach is
good, just spinach, garlic, oil, parm cheese and red pepper flakes.  It
is a mid price range place.

Although I have never eaten at either of these places, you might want to
try Top of the 80's, which is a more up scale higher priced place.  Its
not a chain type place and the food is cooked to order, you may have
luck talking to the staff there.  Also there is a place on Broad Street
called Martin's which is a small, but up scale place.  He was a chef at
the country club and they are only open a few years, but get rave
reviews.  It might be worth a phone call to see if they can help.

3) Hazleton is not a haven of fine dining.  Lots of pizza places and
Italian food.  I have had good luck at a local restaurant called
Ferdinands.  It is on 15th St.  Ask for the owner, I can't remember his
name, he will go over the menu with you and help you to make a good
choice. I also eat at the Bonanza Steak house, I don't know how you feel
about chain
restaurants.  I get a plain steak, house salad and baked potato, not too
exciting, but safe.  I've done well at the Jumbo China Buffet, average
Chinese buffet, again sticking with plain steamed rice and baked salmon.
There is a really nice Mexican place called the Brass Buckle.  Again, I
don't make any risky selections.  They have a nice house salad, as well
as several other main course salads that are good and I often get
fajitas-without the tortillas- and haven't been sick.  Most of the
grocery stores have a small gluten free section.  Check out Weis Market
and the Giant.  Our Wal-Mart supercenter has Van's waffles and have
started carrying Amy's frozen products.  Our only natural foods store is
Junas Natural Foods at 20th and Peace Sts.  A fairly good selection of
products and enough frozen bread products to get by on.  Kinnikinnick
breads and Foods by George.  There is a Wegmans in Wilkes-Barre about 30
min away and The Grainless Baker at the Minooka Pastry Shop in Scranton,
about 45 min away. Other than Wegmans and the Grainless, everywhere else
I mentioned is close by and won't require a long ride out of your way.
Good luck and have fun. Hazleton is a nice place, quiet, not a lot of
excitement.