Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:54:56 -0400

So I called the head of Food Service at Bentley college as many of you helpful people suggested, and he transferred me to the new nutritionist that they just hired.  She was very nice, but informed me that my son could not keep food in the refrigerator in the cafeteria as I had been told he could.  I explained that he has several unusual allergies and that I had hope to keep things like vinegar free salad dressing and wheat free waffles for him to have in the cafe.  She said that it wasn't allowed(which BC college also told me)  but that if their supplier had the product she could order it.  I asked if I could buy it for the cafe and she said no.  My main concern is that my son has problems with Yeast as well as Gluten so most gluten free breads don't work.  However we have found a yeast free, wheat free, corn free tortilla at whole foods that he uses all the time for sandwiches(made by Food for Life if any one is interested) and I would really like them to have it available in the cafeteria.  I do not think he would bring them to his meals if he had to keep them in his room.  Has any one found a way to get around this "no outside food" in the cafeteria issue? I really don't think that their supplier will carry this.  We are supposed to make an appt to see her at the end of August and I would like to know if anyone knows of any way to get around this rule and convince her to let me supply these tortillas.  Unfortunately my son is one of those kids who doesn't like people to know too much about his allergies so I am really worried about him living at school.  Had I known this I might have encouraged him to go to another school, although this might be a food service rule in many schools.  I'd appreciate any thoughts and will summarize if the info looks helpful for others struggling with this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Itchi

*******
*******